ASO app optimization: basic concepts, terms, and stages.
ASO app optimization: basic concepts - this article is your first step into a pretty interesting mobile app optimization process.
Why is it necessary to do ASO optimization, if the main thing is the content of the product and its functionality? The answer is quite simple: in order for the user to become familiar with all this and evaluate the usefulness of the application, he must first find it and understand what it is about by the name and description. Let's take a closer look.
ASO (App Store Optimization) is the process of optimizing the page of a mobile application on the app store (Google Play, App Store, and others) in order to improve its visibility for the user by the maximum number of search queries. After optimization, the number of organic downloads increases as it covers more keywords.
Let's divide this process into two stages depending on the goals.
- Find an app. On Google Play or App Store, the application must be made visible to the search engines of these platforms.
- Understand what the app is about. No matter how good the product is, for the user it should be recognizable and understandable from the first seconds of acquaintance with the page on the market. No one will know what functions the application performs and what problems it solves if this is not written in the text part. And, of course, do not forget about the visual impression. If the icon attracts attention and the user opens the application page and looks at the screenshots, the visual ASO is done with a bang.
ASO optimization usually consists of two stages: text and visual ASO.
Visual optimization concerns any visual context of the app: icons, screenshots, banners. Without getting into technical details, it is worth just mentioning the following features:
- presentability of visual elements;
- what they are associate with (if they are related to the topic of the application)
- how visual elements stand out from competitors
- and whether the icons and screenshots have a uniform color scheme, how well they are combined with each other.
Text optimization is not so striking, but it plays a huge role, solving several problems at once: how the store identifies your application and how the user understands it. For different stores, text optimization has separate specifics, but there is definitely something in common: each application has such key elements as Title, Short description / Subtitle and full description.
The specificity lies in the hidden (invisible to the user, but important for the store) Keywords field in the App Store, as well as the difference in the indexing of certain fields.
You can read more about the differences in text optimization for different stores in our article.
Optimizing an app, especially textual optimization, is a rather laborious process that includes many stages: collecting the semantic core, prioritization of keywords, a compilation of metadata. You can read more about all stages of textual and visual ASO in our step-by-step instructions.
To automate all the stages, use ASOMobile, the first mobile analytics powered by machine learning. Aggregation tools, analysis of existing trends, queries, and search results on all stores will help you create an effective ASO. Thanks to ASOMobile, even an inexperienced user can cope with the application optimization and its results.